Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Bobcat Encounter

Deep Thoughts By Pastor Dan Schuttler
(brought to you by Computer Savvy Ruby Varghese =))

I've only seen one other bobcat in Kent in the 19 years we've lived here!

I was driving Claire to dance and we stopped to pick up one of her friends (Allegra), who lives in the country - a big estate near Lake Youngs. As we were waiting in the driveway, I saw a bobcat walk out of some bushes and walk around the side of the house. Beautifully black and brown - a young one, but almost knee high and two feet long and with a bobbed tail - smaller than Millie. I told Claire that there was a bobcat, but it had disappeared around the house by the time she looked up from her phone. I got out of the car to investigate and walked to the side of the house, but of course, no bobcat.

Allegra comes out of the house (her parents are at work) and wonders what is going on - I tell her and she says, "My cat is still outside!" I say, "We're not going to dance until your cat is back inside!" She starts frantically calling for her cat - "MALCOM!!" Claire joins the search.

I look toward the side of the house the bobcat disappeared and Malcolm (jet black, long-haired cat) comes screaming toward the original bushes with the bobcat in pursuit. Malcolm's eyes are huge and his fur is puffed way out. He's in deep doo-doo. I yell, "BOBCAT!!" and also head toward the bushes.

I can hear them in there and then they take off out of the bushes, across the driveway, over a fence and into a big bramble of blackberries. Unearthly and demonic cat-fight sounds are emanating from the bramble. I also vault the fence and begin yelling at the bobcat to go away (my knowledge of wildlife being what it is, he obviously understands English!) and puffing myself up to look as big as possible.

After a few seconds, Malcolm rips out of the bramble as if a rocket is attached to his backside. The bobcat decides not to pursue and he slinks away into the brush, not wanting to tangle with an oversized, English-yelling frantic dad. Malcolm heads straight for Allegra and jumps into her arms, tearing her sweatshirt in the process. He is more than a little upset.

Allegra peels Malcolm off her person and puts him back in the house and discovers about ten minutes later (in the car) that perhaps she has blood on her!
Hopefully, they check him out and get him to the vet - but I bet Malcolm uses the indoor privvy for the next few weeks!!

No comments: